Tier List Maker - Template Creation Guide and FAQs
Creating a template on TierMaker is super quick and easy. If you haven't watched this video demonstration yet, please do so now. Seriously, it's only 1 minute long and shows you exactly how the process works.
Now that you have seen the video, make sure you create your template just like the example.
Template creation troubleshooting
If you are having trouble creating a tier list template, here are some common issues.
1. Using a Title that you already used - Your profile can only use an individual title one time. It doesn't matter if other users have used the same title. Even if you Hide or Delete the previous title, you need to alter it when creating a new version. How to work around this: create your template with a slightly different title and publish it. After it is published, you can Edit the template title and change it to whatever you want.
2. Uploading one image at a time - you can not create a tier list with a single image, so you need to be sure you are selecting multiple images for the initial upload. Did you see how all of the McDonald's dipping sauces were selected at once in the video demo? Do it just like that.
3. Images are too large - there is no set limit to the size of the images you upload for a template, but the larger the total file size (number of images + size of each image), the greater the chance the upload will fail. The final template uses images that are less than 100 pixels wide. If you are trying to upload 50 pictures that are 500 pixels wide and it won't go through, you need to resize your images smaller. We generally recommend the images are under 300 pixels wide as a general rule.
Still having trouble? Look at the three reasons above again and take a closer look at your template title and images. All failed templates so far are due to those issues.
Tier list template creation FAQ
Can I add images to my template? Yes, you can add additional images to a template using the edit screen.
Can I delete images from my template? No. Deleting images from a template causes issues with tier lists already created from that template.
What does the template "Hide" button do? The hide button removes templates from category pages and from the site search. Use this to hide bad versions of templates. The template will still be visible on your profile page and available for users who have the URL.
Can I delete a tier list? Yes. Click the "Delete this Tier List" link below your tier list.
How long does it take for a template to be live on the site? Templates publish instantly. Once you hit Submit, it should just take 15-30 seconds for the images to upload and process and you should then be redirected to your new template that is ready to share.
How to report a bad template? If you see a template that is low quality, a better version exists or is a topic without widespread appeal, please report it to TierMaker or click on the ðŸ’©emoji by the template name.
Template creation tips
If you do not follow the rules below, it is very likely your template will be flagged and hidden across the site.
Keep your titles broad and generic. You are not describing the set of images and then users can create any type of list they want from that template.
- Good template name example: Game of Thrones Characters
- Bad template name example: Game of Thrones Characters Ranked by Haircut
The second example is the name of a list, that can be created from the first template. Keep the template title generic.
Do not use words like "my", "favorite", "best", "personal" in the Title. For the same reason as above, those words belong in list names, not template names. If you are creating a template for a random group of images that mean something to you, but not everyone else (ex: My anime list) be sure to Hide the template.
Do not use the words "tier list" or "tier list maker" or "template" in the title. We autoatically incorporate that type of language on the site. Please just generically describe the image set.
Don't create the same template that already exists. Use the search box to see what existing templates exist for the topic you are hoping to create. It's ok to create a variation, but be sure the version you are creating is better in some way (better image quality, more images, etc). There are 9 templates for Kanye West albums, each one using the same set of images and number of albums. Seriously, don't waste your time creating a template if you aren't improving the existing one in some way.
No one cares about your discord crew meme template. Please only create templates that you can imagine at least 100+ other people wanting to create. If it's for a single use tier list, just use photoshop. If for some reason you don't follow this rule, please just Hide your template immediately upon publishing.
Hide your failed templates. If you create a template that didn't quite work out, please just hit the Hide button. This helps keep the user experience clean for everyone across the site.
Don't use profanity in your text labels. Feel free to use the language of your choice on your personal list, but templates that might make other users uncomfortable will be hidden.